Winter in UAE is not so harsh as in rest of the world. In fact, winter is the best time of the year in the country when the weather is neither too cold nor hot. Even though snow and blisters do not create havoc to your home, there is a need to undertake thorough winter cleaning so that your home remains bright and fresh throughout the season. Here are 7 winter cleaning tips every homeowner in UAE should follow.
1) Clean the dust: Whatever be the season, dust accumulation is a very common phenomenon in this desert land. Hence, make sure that you clean all the furniture and décor pieces off dust. For furniture, you can do a thorough vacuum cleaning and for fittings use a damp cloth and disinfectant to clean the dust.
2) Organize the entryway: Rain is a common feature of winter in UAE even though it may not last for days. It would be advisable to place a water-absorbent door mat in front so that you can wipe the shoes off mud before entering the house. If possible, place a shoe rack in the front so that guest can keep their damp shoes in it instead of bringing it indoor.
3) Clean the mattress: Because of rain and less use of air conditioner, the indoor air is likely to be moist especially when it rains. Vacuuming and cleaning the mattress helps to get rid of bed bugs. If needed, you can even rotate the mattress to reduce the friction on one side.
4) Clean the carpet: Vacuum the carpet regularly so that dust does not accumulate. In the case of bad odor, use baking soda to neutralize the smell and provide a fresh feel. If needed, seek professional help for cleaning the carpet.
5) Clean curtain: Lot of dust might have accumulated in your curtain after the humid summer months. This is the time to clean the curtain. If needed, you can even replace it with a thicker one to provide a warm and cozy feel to the interiors.
6) Clean the winter essentials: Nights can be chilly during winter times. Hence, dry clean your blanket, comforter or any other bedding you generally use during winter. If you feel dryness during day time you can use a humidifier. Clean and service your old humidifier so that it becomes handy.
7) Clear the kitchen: This is the time to clear the kitchen and refrigerator. Throw away all food items that have expired or are less likely to be used during winter months like ice creams.
Once a thorough cleaning is done, you can go ahead and decorate your home for the forthcoming Christmas and New year celebrations. Use classic winter scents like pine, cinnamon and apple as an air freshener or potpourri and bring in a winter feel to your indoors.